Sunday 7 March 2010

Dippers in Kirkmichael

7th March 2010

This afternoon it was a dry and mild day. Sun was hidden behind light cloud and so I went down to the bridge in Kirkmichael to see if the Dippers were arouind. Over the last few days I have noticed them in this particular strech of river, and so yesterday scouted round to see a good position to hide myself and yet be as close to the river as possible. Eventually I found the ideal spot. I would be hidden from view by branches and ivy trailing down to the waters edge. I had to put my camo netting the other side of me to screen me off from view in case they flew downstream. So today, I got myself in position and sat and waited. After about 30 mins, I spotted the first dipper on a rock downstream. He was there just bobbing up and down and then occasionally jumping in the water. Next the other bird flew nearer to me and started to search for food in the water. All the while this little guy was getting closer to me. I was getting excited and hoped my patience in not firing off some quick shots earlier would pay off. It was wonderful to see these birds just plunge into the icey cold water and resurface again. They never quite made it to the ideal rock, where the green moss contrasted the dark brown water and would make a perfect shot, but I didn't mind. I was happy with what I saw and know that as the days get brighter and longer, I will eventually get that perfect shot.
Photo taken with Canon 40D, 400mm f5.6 lens. 1/320sec, f6.3, ISO1000.

6 comments:

  1. What a super blog and great photograph of the Dipper. Noticed that you had to increase the ISO to 1000 so perhaps, that is what I should be doing. What computer program did you use to finish off the job?

    Out here it continues to rain everyday and the latest statistics confirm that this is the wettest winter since records began back in 1942 and that we have now had 2 years worth of rain in 3 months. Last week able to see good numbers of both Little Bustard and Stone Curlew.

    The stream at Alhama leading to the gorge and the local dippers has been in full flood and taken most of the vegetation near the small footbridge completely away. We need no rain for a few weeks to resolve this problem before I go "Dipper hunting" - always assuming that they are still present.

    Keep up the good work and I trust that the family are all well. When you get withdrawal symptoms we can always find you a bed here; whole family if necessary.

    By the way; tell me more about your camourflage equipment.

    Best wishes

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot. I always get a rush seeing a Dipper when I'm in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic image,one of the best Dipper shots I've seen.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your kind comments, keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dipper shot. One of the best I've seen. Good work. Regards, Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shot of the dipper. I haven't seen one in many years now and really miss their beauty.

    ReplyDelete