Tuesday 28 April 2009

Fuente de Piedra

28 April 2009

Yesterday I managed to get the time to take Andy's suggestion to visit Fuente de Piedra. He had emailed me to say the whole place was alive with every kind of wader and perfect for some bird photography. I couldn't wait to get up there and so early Monday morning was my chance. When I arrived the sun shone and there was no wind and the lagoon had a stillness that was amazing! There was thousands and thousands of flamingoes that covered the lagoon like a pink mist. I had never seen Piedra looking so spectacular.

I walked over the wooded foot bridge and was amazed at the variety of birdlife. I could see a good number Black-winged stilt. Many of them where flying about and 'playing' with each other, as they do in Spring. I could see quite a few Ruff and one particular with different plumage. Well, I think it is a ruff.(Please comment to confirm this is a Ruff)
I spent a good time here getting various flight shots. I found that if I lay down on the bridge, then the birds would forget I was there and start to get closer. Avocets were in good number, and I had fairly good opportunities to get them in frame and also in flight. These are wonderful looking birds, so elegant and graceful. They look fantastic when flying.
Just then a Ringed Plover started to be curious of me. He was hesitant at first, but gradually took the courage to come closer to me. I was rewarded with some nice close up shots.
I decided to have a look at the other parts and went to the indoor hide overlooking the small lake. I saw on the edge a flock of Gull-billed Tern, never seen these before. Also on the little island there was a orange headed duck with a red beak. A quick look and identified it as a Red Crested Pochard. I later saw a couple more on the small pond where the rabbits are. Again this was another first sighting for me.

This was definately the best day I have enjoyed at Piedra and thanks to Andy Paterson for letting me know. You can read Andy's review at his Birding the Costa blog. There is a link on the right of this page.

Birdlist:
Avocet, Redshank, Black-winged stilt,Sanderling, Dunlin, Ruff, Common Tern, Gull-billed Tern, Flamingo, Ringed Plover, Little-ringed Plover, Moorhen, Coot, Greenshank, Pochard, Red-crested Pochard, Little stint, Goldfinch, Swallow, Red-rumped swallow. Yellow wagtail, Corn Bunting.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely close up of the Plover. Wish the weather was like this here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, wonderful, Mark! I am so pleased that you took Andy's advice and visited "Flamingoland". You have no idea how the regular blog updates are keeping me sane whilst in England, the moreso following my hospital admission and now slow recovery at home in Stamford; it certainly takes away the pain and uncomfort as i read and look at the great photographs. No visit to Rutland Water yet but I live in hope that I shall get over there, only ten miles away, before I start the return journey home to Spain, by car, next Wednesday - physical conditions permitting.

    Your "Ruff" photo poses some problems for me. It looks, at first galance, that you can add another great wader as the black on the chest immediately suggested "Grey Plover" to me - coming into summer plumage. On the other hand, the legs look pink and the head seems to be a uniform colour but, again, one would have to take into consideration the light conditions at the time. Indeed, it has certain aspects of a Golden Plover, again, depending on th effect of the light. There should be no black on a Ruff's breast and, with only a Peterson "Field Guide" with me, forgetting all the missing eye stripes, etc, the nearest would appear to be a Souther (form of) Golden Plover. But the very clear feathering contrasts on the wing coverts keep bringing me back to Grey Plover!

    Best bet, email Andy (andy.birds@gmail.com)to look at your blog and he will immediately say ********

    Thanks again for a wonderful blog and I can't wait to get back and pay a visit to Fuente de Piedra before it is too late to see the present feast of waders.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete