Friday 17 April 2009

El Algarrobo, Nerja

17 April 2009

With the weather being unsettled over the past few days I was reluctant to venture any distance so I decided to visit the hillside at the back of Nerja. Quite often a Short-toed eagle will put in an appearance and this morning was not exception. In fact on the ridge of the mountain there were three soaring in the thermals, showing off the white underparts in the morning sunlight.
Within one hour of walking this local area I saw 16 species, but the highlight was seeing a Whinchat flying amid the rocky terrain. At first I thought it was a stonechat, but no this was definately a whinchat! Further in the valley I came across a small flock of Linnets in the grassland, showing off their red breasts. I decided to hide amongst some trees and was rewarded by a family of Goldfinch feeding their new fledged chicks. As I went to higher ground, I was suprised to see a Black Wheatear, thought they were only here in the Winter. Spring is a wonderful season to observe the antics of all the birds, courtship displays, nest building and feeding chicks.
On my way home I startled 9 Hoopee from the ground, if only I was quick enough with the camera, it would of made a beautiful flight shot.
Birdlist: Black wheatear, Hoopee, Spotless starling, House sparrow, Goldfinch, Whinchat, Woodchat shrike, Kestrel, Short-toed eagle, Sardinian warbler, Serin, Swift, Swallow, House martin, Collared dove, Linnet.

1 comment:

  1. Another good morning's work, Mark. It never surprises me where I see Black Wheatears. Last year I travelled all the way up to Zafarraya and then returning to Los Romanes, within 2 km of home, there was an individual sitting on the rail of a new apartment block! What next?

    Bob

    ReplyDelete