Thursday 7 May 2009

Rio de la Miel

7 May 2009

Took the moto up to Rio de la Miel, just out of Nerja and past the pueblo blanco of Maro. The road twists and winds up the valley until you get to the top of the mountain range. From here one can see the snow still present on Sierra Nevada.

Not a great birding site, but one can easily expect to see the usual tits, blackbirds and serins. I stopped off near a stream and had a wander up a path to some pine trees. In the distance I could see what looked like a falcon of some sort flying near the crags, but too far for a positive ID. Could of been a Peregrine. Also spotted perched on a crag in the distance was an eagle. If only I had my spotting scope, maybe then I could of identified it. Walking back to my moto I saw a lovely Pied Flycatcher on a dead branch. He was quite happy letting me watch him and he would fly into the air and catch his meal. Also at this altitude there were Stonechat and Whinchat, normally I only see them in the Winter down on the coast.
Birdlist: Great tit, Serin, Blackbird, Nightengale, Pied flycatcher, Stonechat, Whinchat, Goldfinch.

1 comment:

  1. Now back home from "my troubles" in the UK and thoroughly enjoyed reading both your latest blogs plus pictures. Very impressive. All being well, I hope to take atrip out to Fuente later this week to see what is (still) about.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete