Thursday 19 March 2009

Fuente de Esparte

19 March 2009

Today I took my moto up the dirt track behind Maro to Fuente de Esparte to the pine forest of El Pinarillo. There were many Chaffinch around, and the forest was full of the sound of Serin. One particular serin came rather close singing away and enabled me to get a half decent image.

The birds were all busy collecting materials for their nests. A couple of Long-tailed tits were busy pulling the fibre from an old rope tied to a tree. On the ground some distance away was a Crested tit. I love these birds and long to get close enough to get a photo, but today wasn't the day. A Robin was perched on his favourite post but was chased off by a Redstart. Later in the morning I saw my first Blue-tit at this forest, along with the many Great tits. Another favourite of mine is the Treecreeper, not sure whether it was the short-toed kind or the normal treecreeper. As I was leaving, a few noisy Crossbills appeared, but I had to leave, but not a bad morning.


Bird list: Chaffinch, Serin, Long-tailed tit, Crested tit, Great tit, Blue tit, Robin, Redstart, Treecreeper, Crossbill.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark - super photos!!
    I got excited for a moment when you mentioned Redstart and it will definitely be a Short-toed Treecreeper. The more common Treecreeper in the UK only gets as far south as northern Spain. I look forward to meeting up with you (and son?) at the next birding trip with Bob.

    Cheers

    Eric Lyon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good show, Mark. As Eric says, the Tree-creeper will be of the "Short-toed" variety and I expect, unless you contradict me, that the Redstart is more likely to have been a Black Redstart. Not definite, nbut the Common Redstarts seem only to be seen on passage, such as at the Guadalhorce.

    You're right about the hordes of Serrins around. I was at Alhama de Granada this morning, see blog when I complete write-up, and they were all over the place.

    Look forward to meeting up soon.

    ReplyDelete