Monday 24 August 2009

Charca de Suarez Reserve, Motril

24 August 2009

Went down to Charca again today, especially as Bob Wright yesterday had seen a Yellow-crowned Bishop. Went to the Motril Marshes first and saw the usual Puprple
Heron take to the air as it detected my presence. On the wire above me flew a juvenile Woodchat Shrike, then darted to the ground after its prey. Walking around saw good sightings of the Avadavats, but too far for interesting photos. These are wonderful birds to look at, the red is just hypnotizing! Few Cattle Egrets were about and a few Sedge Warblers. On the road were a dozen Turtle Doves, reluctant to move as I drove nearer to them. Next I went to Charca reserve. All was quiet here and as I approached the hide where the ducks rest, they sensed I was there and about 15 took to flight. Barn Swallows were skimming over the water catching the insects. In the reeds I noticed a Little Bittern in stealth mode. Just then a splash of pure yellow few over the reeds as the Yellow-crowned Bishop came into sight and then disappeared into the long grass again. I wouldnt of been able to make a positive ID, if not to have seen Bob Wrights excellent photos of this bird the day before. On to the main hide and there was plenty to see. Over on the right, in the far corner there were two Night Herons. In the tall trees I saw a flock of Grey Herons, some of them where flying into the lake and landing in the water. Just then I noticed something move right in front of the hide, it was a Little Bittern. Never realised just how "little" these herons are! He was amazing! Then I heard the familiar sound of the Kingfisher, then spotted him on a nearby reed. Shame the light was directly behind him as the photo came out as a silohette. Then he flew to the main island in front of the hide and I got a few shots. Couldnt stay long so it was time to make tracks, but an enjoyable few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment