Thursday 11 February 2010

Mochrum & Maidens

10 February 2010
Went for a couple of hours along Maidens beach. The sun was shining and the sea looked like the mediteranean! The temperature didnt match the Med though!
First stop was Mochrum to see what was about. There had been reported about 50 Whooper Swans the day before but tyhey must of moved on by the time I got there. Never mind. Saw the usual woodland birds next to the feeders, and was able to watch with amazement at a flock of Long-tailed tits, fighting over the peanuts. There was about 8 huddled together on one feeder in a frenzie! Also a couple of Curlew were in the adjacent field as I was walking back to the car. Along the Culzean road heading to Maidens were a number of Buzzards, and Kestrels.
The tide was right out when I got there, Oystercatchers, Redshank, Curlews and Sanderlings were on the beach.
I wanted to photograph the Curlews. I wish I had my old cloths on so I could get dirty in the sand. I wanted to lie down on the sand, but it was too wet. Anyway I found a large rock on the beach and hid myself behing that. I had the camoflage netting and was able to be quite hidden. I wanted the Curlew to walk up to me...and he was getting nearer and nearer. I fired off a few shows, all the while he was walking and feeding, coming in my direction. Just then a dog ran out on the sand between myself and the bird and yes, you guessed it, he flew off.

No comments:

Post a Comment