Friday 29 January 2010

Lochwinnock

Headed out to the RSPB reserve at Lochwinnock, about an hour from the house. On the way there were the usual Buzzards perched along the main road near Ayr. Also a female Kestrel was sitting on a post surrounded by about five Crows...poor thing!
Arriving at the reserve I went straight to the first hide near the shop. As soon as I was in position a beautiful Fieldfare flew in and landed upon one of the rocks in the field. He was perfect as was the lighting. The sun was still low and angled to the right enabling me to fire off some decent shots.

Around the feeders were the usual Blue tits and Great tits. Chaffinches were the most popular bird today. Laying low in the bracken was a charming Dunnock, although the light was too dark to get a good photo. I increased the ISO and hoped for the best. A few Reed Buntings were feeding in the grass, a cute little bird. Just then a Great-Spotted Woodpecker flew onto the pole erected by the warden. He was only there for a few seconds before he took to flight again.

I met a nice couple from Kilmarnock, the McCalls, who from the size of his 500mm lens were also into bird photography.
I was freezing so after a cup of coffee I went into the woods to the other hides. On the water I could see a flock of Golden Eye in the distance. Whilst walking I disturbed a Grey Heron. In the trees were a few Treecreepers. These little birds never stay still for one seconds so I found them really difficult to capture, along with the low light in the forest. One of the treecreepers was hiding behind the tree and I was watching him through my lens, hoping he would come into view. Just then he popped his little head over to see if I was still there, and I was able to snap him, before he flew to another tree.

Walking further I came across a flock of Long-tailed Tits, these are much more pinker than the guys I had seen in Spain. They love to congregate together and was able to get a very nice photo of one of them on the flimsiest of twigs....beautiful!

A great end to a perfect but freezing day!

Birdlist: Buzzard, Kestrel, Blue tit, Great tit, Coal tit, Long-tailed tit, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Reed bunting, Sparrow, Chaffinch, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Carrion crow, Grey heron, Goldeneye, Whooper swan, Treecreeper, Mallard, Great-spotted Woodpecker.

No comments:

Post a Comment