Sunday 22 March 2009

Alhama-tracking the dipper

March 23 2009

Yesterday I was determined to get a photo of the dipper I had seen on previous occasions up in Alhama de Granada. Last week I had seen him along the river that runs through the gorge between the town of Alhama and the lake. Another birder Bob Wright had also gone to find this elusive bird last Friday but sadly failed to get a glimpse of him. So the challenge was on!
Previously I had seen him at the footbridge, so I waited there for over an hour, but no dipper. So I decided to walk a little further into the gorge. I could hear a Wren singing heartedly away, so I scanned the area but couldn’t see anything. Then suddenly I saw something fly onto a rock. Quick look through the binoculars confirmed it was a wren. I watched him for about 15 mins moving about. This was a treat as these little birds are not that common here.
I waited again at another opening where you can get a good view of the stream, but still no dipper. Long-tailed tits, blue, and great tits where in the trees. I walked further up the path deep into the gorge, I could see the town in the distance, and notice the stream was getting bigger and louder! I left the path and climbed over the rocks and immediately in the distance through green foliage was the dipper. Only saw him for about 5 seconds then he flew away from me. I waited again, but he never returned. Saw a lovely Blue Rock Thrush in the distance. I decided to walk on and get into a new position. Again went over some more rocks and there he was again – flying from rock to rock with the big crashing waterfall behind him. This time there was a pair of dippers! I couldn’t get the camera into position in time, so never got a shot. Anyway I waited here for quite some time, then he flew back into position. I had the camera set on the tripod as the light was falling, so needed to use a slower shutter speed. Looks like he was gathering material for his new nest. Just then a Grey Wagtail landed on a rock. Click...another good image. All in all a great day with some nice shots. More images on the website.














Bird List: Magpie, Reed Warbler, Goldfinch, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Wren, Robin, Blackcap, Dipper, Sardinian Warbler, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Rock Thrush, Chaffinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Cormorant, Pochard, Coot, Kestrel, Black Wheatear, Grey Wagtail, Great Spotted Woodpecker.

No comments:

Post a Comment