Tuesday 31 March 2009

Caleta de Velez

31 March 2009



This morning I took Andy Paterson's advice to go down to the harbour at Caleta, as I had asked him about locations for sea birds. This being the nearest to me and as I had a few hours spare I ventured out with camera.

I am still learning the names of all the sea birds, but recognised straight away that some of the birds flying around were not seagulls but terns. A quick look in the book to identify and I think they were Sandwich Terns. They were diving into the water which was a pleasure to watch. They are an elegant, attractive sea bird that photograph well.
Also I saw a Mediteranean Gull, with its dark head. As I walked along the shore line near the harbour a Kentish Plover was exploring the sand and pebbles. He turned his head and took one look at me and flew off.

It was all quiet and peaceful until a small fishing boat came in and this caused a frenzy of hundreds of gull trying to get in on some of the fish from the boat...very exciting and well worth a visit to Caleta.

Birdlist: Mediteranean Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Sandwich Tern, Kentish Plover, Cormorant, Grebe,

1 comment:

  1. Another good one Mark with beautiful photographs. Whilst you were at the harbour, I was about a mile down the coast at the mouth of The Rio Velez!

    I, too, saw sandwich Terns and all three small plovers. Looking at your photo, I think you have a Kentish Plover, about the same size as the Little-ringed but with dark legs and, perhaps, a more gentle shade of fawn. The telling feature for the latter is the very pronounced yellow iris around the eyes. Not as good as your photograph but I have also just posted my blog and it features a Little-ringed Plover; you may want to emlarge to look at the eye.

    ReplyDelete